Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wiring for idiots (me)


So, with a feeling of overwhelming pride I completed the wiring of the turn signals. I took the time to reference the wiring diagram and to decipher which faded wired over three and a half decades old was sky blue. Hooked up the corresponding turn signals, mounted them, and with a triumphant shout flipped the switch for to the left. Nothing, Nada, no lights, no gentle clicking of the relay... the relay!!!! It was still laying on the bench. OK, added the relay, checked everything over again, with a less genuine shout of triumph flipped the switch to the right. Still nothing, flipped on the headlight, nothing. I stared dumbly then decided to start with the basics, I retrieved my multimeter and checked the battery, 12 V, and there at the tips of my probes was the answer, I had unhooked the battery to do the wiring. I re hooked up the battery, mentally kicking and berating myself, and then turned on the key, and hesitantly flipped the switch . I heard clicking! The relay quietly ticked away and a warm yellow glow pulsed off the surrounding bikes. HA! Triumph! I had overcome. I glanced happily at the left turn signals pulsing away and then with a whimper looked back to the switch... that I had turned to the right....

No comments:

Post a Comment