Wednesday, April 7, 2021

 So i had been turning that scoring over in my head on the cylinder wall.  


when reassembly the motor, I ended up snapping the piston ring and the small rib on the piston itself that separated the rings.  At first I was pretty frustrated, but after mulling it over decided it was for the better since I could then address the scoring.  Turns out the motor had already been bored to .020" over so the next step up available was .030" ( I believe there used to be .025" over pistons and rings but those have long since dried up).


So I did what any intelligent machist would do. I made a fixture for the lathe to hold the cylinder. 



And then chucked up the cylinder in the lathe and centered and aligned it carefully .  THis level of accuracy is only for experts, not ametuers.....which explains why....

When I discovered the Hodaka specialty parts supplier I purchased the new piston and rings from also offered boring, i quickly tore down my setup and happily shipped it off to them!

I packed it so well with foam individually cut and numbered so it could be packed back easily, the gentleman at the other end wrote a nice hand written note for me. Like I said, this type of accuracy should only be attempted by experts....








No comments:

Post a Comment