Monday, April 1, 2013


So I got the 350 running again, then had it start acting up.  While running the valves seemed extremely loud even after re-setting them, so I was wondering if it was lack of lube or just the tank not being there.  (I should actually set it back on their and see).  Anyway, as I was playing with it, began popping and misfiring and then came to a stop with a loud “huuuooff” through he carbs.  I disassembled the ignition  advance to find that my chintzy steel pin I had made had sheared.  As I was squatting down looking at the advance unit I swayed forward and gently grabbed the bike to steady myself.  The part I grabbed was the exhaust header,  I had a sensation of burning then cursed and yelled as I flapped my hand in the air.  I observed a nice set of red marks on two of my fingers and my thumb.  Just then my CD player began playing a song I absolutely hate….and I knew, I immediately needed a project win or I was going into the house to drink…. I ejected the offensive CD and whipped it in the general direction of the trash can and looked vainly for something I could accomplish that would fulfill this win need.  And my eyes came to rest on the aftermarket springs I had bought for the Kawasaki ZR-7.  With a  war whoop and throbbing hand I put in some old swing music and attacked the Kawasaki.  Soon I had the springs out, (the stock ones were really thin, anemic, sad little affairs) and was reading up on how to cut the spacer for correct preload.  I marked the spacers as instructed and sprinted inside to cut them on my mitre saw. (It was plastic PVC tubing).  Soon I had the forks re-assembled and took a quick jaunt down the street and immediately felt the difference in the suspension.  With this head of steam underway I dragged the CB750 frame out of the corner and assaulted it in the drive way with my angle grinder and the sandblaster, the attached picture was the result. 

I am so glad I burned my hand….


No comments:

Post a Comment